Friday, February 10, 2012

The Procrastinating Perfectionist

There is a poster that depicts a huge polar bear lying prone on a flue of ice. The caption under it reads, "When I get the feeling to do something, I lie down until the feeling goes away".  Well I don't think the state of my motivation is this depressing, it is certainly true that when I'm confronted with a project that I feel might be impossible to do perfectly, I suddenly have a case of inexplicable paralysis.  Like they say, "you want something done right, better not try cause its not going to happen." 
  I admire bloggers. Those brave souls that put pen to paper (figuratively speaking) and share their thoughts with the world. Now don’t get me wrong, I have opinions and thoughts out the wazoo and I’ve never been one to hold them back. It’s just that getting my thoughts out of my head and into a blog seemed daunting.  And if my writing can't be witty, thought provoking and downright hilarious then what is the freaking point, right?  Still, there is one thing I do consistently perfectly and that is give myself little gems of encouragment.
 “She generally gave herself very good advice though she very seldom followed it.”  That tasty morsal of wisdom is from Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and sadly rings VERY true for me. The upside of that statement? I give GOOD advice. What I need is a good dose of action! And so, I find myself sitting here, typing away. Will it all end up grammatically correct? Not a chance. Will it be perfect? I'll try my darndest to make it so. Will it move me forward in the direction of my dreams and help others along the way? I think (an enthusiastic) YES! 
  The alternative?  This blog is very short lived and peters out, giving my followers the certainity that I am off obsessing about doing something else perfectly.  Like make homemade aprons. But what the heck, I guess its worth a try...again..

So, here it goes, a recovering procrastinating perfectionist, takes imperfect action towards her dreams!!!  

(Oh geez that was corny...I should probably erase that..Thats it!  I quit...).

1 comment:

  1. I keep trying to think of something to say that won't get me hit later. Let's try "I've never seen this side of you before.' Nope, that wasn't it. Anyway, I hope you keep these coming. I love this.

    ReplyDelete